Nine IT institutes may get Karachi University affiliation | Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Nine IT institutes may get Karachi University affiliation

KARACHI- The Affiliation Committee of University of Karachi is actively considering applications of nine private sector institutions of Information Technology (IT) for their affiliation with the varsity.

The Pakistan International Airlines (PIAs) newly set-up IT institute is also among the aspirants applied for affiliation with the university, secretary of committee, Prof Dr Shahid Hussain Zaidi said.

So far, six private sector institutes of Islamabad offering Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) and Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) courses have been granted affiliation. The institutions, affiliated with the university are: Dadabhoy Institute of Management Sciences, Institute of Management & Computer Science, College of Management and Information Technology (COMIT), Indus Tech Institute of Computer Science and Asian Institute of Information Technology.

The 6th System and Research institute of Islamabad has also been granted affiliation by the university.

The secretary said, “We don’t allow any of the affiliated institutions to hold short term (IT) courses.” Moreover, the institute or college is required to have semester system. It may examine a student for 40 per cent marks, while for remaining 60 per cent marks, the Board of Studies of Department of Computer Science, Karachi University (KU) shall appoint the examiner for paper setting for all the affiliated institutions. The examinations for the remaining 60 per cent shall be conducted at the university premises.

The secretary said, as per rules at least 70 per cent of the teaching staff should hold master’s degree in computer science while the strength of the teaching faculty should be at least one professor, two associate professors, three assistant professors and four lecturers.

Minimum monthly salary to be paid to a faculty shall start from Rs 10,000, at least 70 per cent of the teaching faculty should be regular full time employees of the institution.

Moreover, the institute should provide one computer for two students, legally purchased software and local area network, the secretary said.

He said the committee would monitor the Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA) course at the college to allow initiation of Masters in Business Administration (MBA) courses.

Source: The News
Date:2/9/2001