Two women fall victim to domestic violence -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Two women fall victim to domestic violence

Two women were killed in separate incidents reported Monday within the jurisdictions of the Sir Syed and the Manghopir police stations.

Thirty-five-year-old mother of seven, Hanifa, was shot dead by her brother-in-law because he suspected that she had illicit relations with her neighbour. The police said that the incident was reported in Sector-7C, North Karachi. The accused, Ghulam Rasool, surrendered to the police after killing Hanifa.

Ghulam Rasool said that he, along with his brother, Ghulam Nabi, lived in a house in Sector-7C, North Karachi. The siblings were labourers by profession. Ghulam Nabi married Hanifa about eight years ago.

Over the past five years, news of Hanifa’s affair with her neighbour, Yaseen, had been making the rounds but Ghulam Nabi and Ghulam Rasool refused to believe these rumours. On Monday, when Ghulam Nabi went for his day’s labour, Ghulam Rasool said he was unwell and did not accompany him.

While he was home, Rasool said, Hanifa told him that she was going to the market to purchase vegetables. As soon she left the house, he started following her stealthy. Two lanes from the house, Rasool said that he saw Hanifa meeting Yaseen. When the two saw him, they started running.

Ghulam Rasool confessed that he first killed Hanfa with two bullets. Then he killed Yaseen, and surrendered to the police. In a separate incident, a young girl was killed by her husband over a domestic dispute in the Manghopir police limits. Twenty-year-old Nazo was shot dead by her husband, Bacha Rehman, in Mehmood Goth, police said, adding that the accused escaped after committing the offence.

The couple’s family said that Rehman, a worker at a marble factory, had two wives. Nazo was his second wife. The couple was married four to five years ago, and had three children. Rehman quarrelled with Nazo continuously, and was also physically violent with her, family members said.

On Monday morning, they said, Rehman came home and started arguing with Nazo, after which she went inside her room and locked it from inside. Rehman broke the latch of a window in the room, and started using abusive language towards Nazo. Another argument ensued, and Rehman pulled out his handgun, shot and killed Nazo, and fled.

The police were informed later. They reached the house, broke down the door to Nazo’s room, and shifted her body to a hospital. The police said that raids were carried out for RehmanÂ’s arrest. None were successful. A case was, however, lodged at the police station.
Source: The News