State-run TV clarifies report -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

State-run TV clarifies report

ISLAMABAD: Commenting on a news item appearing in daily The News dated 15th September, the spokesman of the state-run TV has stated that due to the tireless efforts of management and staff and the overwhelming response by the public, around Rs240 million has materialised so far in both cash and kind out of the pledges of over Rs450 million during special fund raising telethons for flood victims held on the two channels of the state-run TV and not a ‘paltry 3.7 million’ as reported in the newspaper.

He expressed the hope that other pledges would also be realised in due course of time. The spokesman clarified that no special event was organised for the prime minister with regard to flood relief donations. He stated that the minister for information and MD of the state-run TV had called on the prime minister and during the call-on, the MD presented a cheque for Rsl0 million for the Prime Minister’s Flood Relief Fund, which mainly comprised contribution from salaries of the staff. The prime minister was also briefed regarding the initiatives taken by the state-run TV for the flood victims and that pledges of over Rs450 million had been made by various philanthropists and organisations.

The prime minister appreciated the various initiatives that had been taken by the state-run TV and expressed his satisfaction that the organisation was showing visible Improvement in many spheres.

The spokesman stated that the state-run TV had taken a number of initiatives to provide assistance to the flood affectees besides domestic and international fund raising through live telethons. The spokesman stated that the state-run organisation is also pursuing international broadcasters and networks under the umbrella of Asia Pacific Broadcasters Union (ABU) in order to generate awareness and help raise funds for flood victims and has received encouraging response in this regard.

Mazhar Tufail adds: The fact that an official enquiry has already been launched into the affair by the prime minister’s office suffices to prove the authenticity of the news report. I stand by my story.

This correspondent had a detailed telephonic conversations with state-run TV Managing Director Arshad Khan on Tuesday evening and then again on Wednesday morning (the conversations were recorded for the purpose of confirming content) where in the issues were discussed in detail. In fact in the first exchange Mr Arshad even remarked that, “as the Jung Group does not publish reports of his organisation, it had no right to publish this report”, He also said certain people wanted to get such reports published against him.

Mr Arshad Khan then called this correspondent Wednesday morning and in almost 15 minute long conversation he admitted the ordering of the inquiry. The managing director also invited the correspondent to visit 121m and discuss the matter but was told that he was welcome to contradict the report. He was also informed by this correspondent that he had been conducted for his version for this report and the same would be done in the event of any future reports as it was the professional norm to do so.
Source: The News
Date:9/16/2010