Indian channels may go off air if PBA, CAP agree
LAHORE, January 25 2006: The Pakistan Broadcasters Association (PBA) held four-hour long negotiations with Cable Operators Association of Pakistan (CAP) on Monday January 24 to resolve the ban imposed on GEO network in Pakistan (outside Sindh province) by the cable operators.
PBA was presented with a six-point demand by CAP (listed below) for consideration and it was decided in principle that both sides will go back to their respective bodies to elicit views and will meet again on February 1st 2006 to resolve the issues raised by both sides.
It was agreed that both sides would work together to bring quality entertainment to the viewers in the country and also jointly raise the issue with the government and the regulator (PEMRA) in this regard.
PBA accepted CAP’s demand to broadcast the above understanding reached between the two sides on their respective TV channels and also provide copies to the print media.
CAP’s six demands:
* No subscription fee of encrypted channels for cable operators.
* Annual rental of new satellite channels to cable operator for carrying signal.
* Representation of Cable Operators in Broadcasters Association of Pakistan (minimum 5 members across Pakistan).
* Complete blackout/shutdown of all Indian content on all Pakistani channels in line with government’s policy regarding Indian content.
* Joint strategy to stop Star TV, ZEE and other Indian networks of DTH/channels for selling DTH/decoders in Pakistan containing Indian contents.
* Problems of TV industry.
The PBA side was represented by its Chairman Mir Shakeel-ur-Rahman (GEO), Mr Ghazanfar Ali (Indus TV), Mr Arshad Zubairi Seretary General (Aaj TV), Mr Muhammad Aslam Kazi Finance Secretary (KTN) and Mr Tahir Khan (TV1 patron-in-chief).
CAP was represented by Capt (retd) Jabbar Ahmed Khan (President Punjab), Mr Malik Furqan Ghias (President Centre), Mr Imran Nadeem (Secretary General Centre), Mr Mujahid Saleem (President NWFP), Mr Zubair Khalid (Secretary General NWFP), Mr Khalid Arain (Vice Chairman Sindh), Mr Ahsan Ali Sheikh (Secretary General Sindh), Mr Aamir Maqsood (Senior Vice President Sindh), Mr Yasir Khattak (Information Secretary), Ch Tahir (Senior Vice President Punjab), Mr Malik Rasheed (Vice President Punjab), Mr Malik Arif Mahmood (Vice Chairman Punjab).
Source: The News