Rangers action: Four JSQM workers, cameraman injured -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Rangers action: Four JSQM workers, cameraman injured

HYDERABAD: Rangers arrested two activists of the Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz and baton-charged people who were protesting against the arrest of JSQM chief Basheer Khan Qureshi here on Saturday.

The action left a TV cameraman and four JSQM activists injured.

Activists had gathered on a section of the city bypass to stage a sit-in as per a protest programme of the JSQM. Police and Rangers persuaded them to disperse because the prime minister was due in Hyderabad, but they continued the protest.

When the porters were returning with JSQM leaders Akash Mallah and Sagar Hanif Burdi after the sit-in, Rangers personnel started baton-charging them, hitting Nawab Burdi, Rehman Pirzado, Khadim Mashori and Liaquat Ali.

A TV cameraman, Shaman Solangi, received injuries on his head and was taken to hospital. Another cameraman, Mohammad Ali, was also hit with baton. Two activists Irfan Joyo and Yasin Abbasi were arrested.

In Khairpur district, a large number of JSQM activists blocked the National Highway near the shrine of Haji Reejh Ali Shah for about two hours.

Activists, including those from Naushahro Feroze, reached the National Highway near Dargah Haji Reejh Ali Shah on motor bikes and other vehicles and blocked the road. They also staged a demonstration.

Speaking on the occasion, senior vice-chairman of the JSQM Dr Niaz Kalani said that they had started a peaceful protest campaign throughout Sindh against the arrest of Bashir Khan Qureshi. He vowed to continue the protest till release of their leader.

He said the Sindh government was being run with the stick of Rehman Malik.

A large number of vehicles remained stranded on the National Highway because of the blockade, but no untoward incident was reported.

In Shikarpur, activists of the JSQM, JSM and other nationalist groups staged demonstrations and blocked the Indus Highway at Truck Stand and Jahan Khan Chowk for two hours. They demanded immediate release of the JSQM chairman.

Source: Dawn