Press club attack condemned -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Press club attack condemned

QUETTA, Aug 2: The Council of the All Balochistan Press Clubs(CABPC) has condemned the burning down of the Kharan Press Club allegedly by the district nazim and arrest of two journalists.

Speaking at a joint press conference here on Thursday, CABPC president Akram Bungulzai and chairman of an action committee Jalat Khan Esot alleged that the Kharan district nazim and the local administration had been angry over the press for publishing news items on the misuse of relief funds to flood victims.

They said the district nazim asked journalists to vacate the press club building on Saturday last and burnt it down when they refused and also arrested two journalists Haji Mohammad Arif and Tahir Baloch.

They appealed to the chief justice of Balochistan High Court to take suo motu notice of the incident and ensure freedom of press. They said black flags would be hoisted on all press clubs on Friday and a black-day would be observed on August 4. News regarding the Kharan district nazim would be boycotted and a token hunger strike would be observed on August 12 at all press clubs of the province.
Source: Dawn
Date:8/3/2007