BA approves 2011-12 supplementary budget in 25 minutes -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

BA approves 2011-12 supplementary budget in 25 minutes

Muhammad Zafar

QUETTA: Balochistan Assembly (BA) approved current financial year 2011-12 supplementary budget unanimously on Thursday in a record span of 25 minutes.

The House met with Speaker Muhammad Aslam Bhootani in the chair.

Balochistan Finance Minister Mir Asim Kurd presented 36 demands of grants to the tune of Rs 27.978 billion.

The estimates for the non-development expenditures were Rs 12.316 billion while Rs 15.666 billion were earmarked for development expenditures.

The House adopted the demands unanimously when the speaker put them for vote.

It may be mentioned here that there were only three members in opposition benches but none of them was present during the proceedings.

Earlier, some lawmakers expressed their strong resentment and protested against the media trial of chief justice of Pakistan (CJP). “Media trial of CJP is being carried out because he took serious notice of missing persons in Balochistan,” they remarked.

Provincial Irrigation Minister Sardar Muhammad Aslam Bezinjo said that CJP had taken notice of discovery of decomposed bodies of missing Baloch youth upon which a campaign had been kicked off against him so that the attention could be diverted from Balochistan and missing persons’ issue. “This media trial should be stopped forthwith,” he demanded.

Provincial Minister for SGAD and PML-N leader Sardar Sanaullah Zehri lauded the efforts of the judiciary, saying the incumbent judiciary had taken concrete steps for the supremacy and law and constitution. “Such steps can steer out the country from crises,” he observed.

Balochistan Senior Minister Maulana Abdul Wasay, demanding immediate end to the media trial of CJP, said that such practices would further weaken the position of state institutions.

Balochistan National Party (BNP-Awami) leader Asad Baloch said that the CJP took notice against those who were behind the forced disappearances of youth. “The rulers disliked this step and started a campaign,” he said and added that apex court had proved that three missing persons were in the custody of Frontier Corps who were killed and their bodies were thrown away.

The BNP-Awami leader said that it was a matter of great concern that a campaign had been initiated against CJP after he took serious notice on Balochistan issue.

Provincial minister without portfolio and PPP provincial president Mir Sadiq Umrani protested over release of insufficient water to Balochistan by Sindh.

However, Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani assured the House that he would take up the issue with Sindh government.

Daily Times