Sindh chiefs of Rangers, police removed
By Syed Irfan Raza
ISLAMABAD: The government removed the director general of Sindh Rangers and police chief of the province on Tuesday in compliance with an order issued by the Supreme Court after the cold-blooded killing of a young man in Karachi last week.
The ISPR announced the removal of Rangers Director General Maj-Gen Ejaz Chaudhry and a military official said he “has not been posted yet and his posting may take some time”.
Attorney General Maulvi Anwarul Haq had written a letter to the government suggesting immediate removal of the heads of the two departments in line with the Supreme Court’s directives.
Sindh police chief Fayyaz Leghari was also removed from his post, although the provincial government had announced earlier that it would file a petition before the apex court seeking a review of the order.
But the attorney general had said that the order could not be challenged.
“A review petition in a suo motu case cannot be filed on technical grounds,Â” he had said while talking to reporters.
Some legal experts said the officers could file a review petition in their personal capacity.
A group of five to six Rangers killed 19-year-old Sarfaraz Shah in a park in Karachi on suspicion of looting people at gunpoint.
Footage of the incident captured by a cameraman of a TV channel was telecast by almost all channels, causing public outrage.
The youth was seen pleading for his life before the Rangers personnel killed him.