Rashid flays media for misreporting
ISLAMABAD, January 25,2005:Information minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmad has expressed his resentment over misreporting of the situation in Sui by the media and said no military action was under way in the area.
Talking to VoA, the minister said neither any military operation was in progress in Sui nor the government had any intention to launch it in future.
He said no arrests or demolition of houses were made in Sui, adding only security had been tightened around natural gas installations in the area.He said media was coming up with false reports in this regard.
The minister said the government wanted to find political solution to Balochistan’s longstanding problems.He said serious efforts were in progress to address the genuine problems of the Baloch that included gas supply to areas adjacent to Sui and better employment opportunities.
When contacted, Akbar Khan Bugti, the chieftain of Bugti tribes controlling Sui areas, told VOA that he watched Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, the president of Pakistan Muslim League and former premier, on a private television talking of taking on the dialogue with the Baloch nationalists. He said no dialogue would be possible under ‘threat and duress’. He accused the government of ‘not speaking truth’ on military operation under way in Sui.