PM trashes talk of revolution, army takeover
By Amir Wasim
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has rubbished the talk of revolution and army takeover and asserted that the government will complete its five-year term despite aspersions that it has lost credibility.
Â“Those dissatisfied with us should wait for the next election and vote us out then,” he said while talking to reporters here on Thursday.
Ruling out the possibility of an army takeover, the prime minister asked the critics to bear with the elected government for two and a half years.
“No-one should have illusions. Neither will the army take over nor does it want to.”
He said the international community also would not support any undemocratic move.
“This is a popularly-elected government and there is no threat to democracy.”
Replying to a question about an alleged conspiracy to malign politicians by glorifying the role of armed forces in the flood relief, he said those who were treating the army and the government as separate entities were “living in a fool’s paradise and let them live there”.
He said the army was helping civilians after getting orders from him to that effect.
The prime minister said the unanimous adoption of a pro-democracy resolution by the National Assembly in its last session had proved that every party in the country wanted democracy.
He said those criticising the government for lack of transparency and capacity did not enjoy a good reputation among the masses.
Replying to a question, he termed the judiciary as “pro-democracy” and said he had great respect for Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry.
When asked about MQM chief Altaf Hussain’s appeal to ‘patriotic’ army generals to act against ‘corrupt’ politicians, he said there was no need for him or the army to react to it. “Those who made the call should themselves explain it,” he said.
On the issue of NAB’s prosecutor general, Mr Gilani said that Irfan Qadir had ceased to hold office after the Supreme Court’s decision against his appointment and there was no need for the government or the president to de-notify it.
However, after getting reports that the official was not ready to relinquish charge, he said, he had sent an advice to President Asif Ali Zardari to remove him immediately.
Â“If he is not leaving the charge, he is committing contempt of court,” Mr Gilani said.
FLOODS: The prime minister regretted that certain elements had been politicising the issue of floods and criticising the government as if it had caused the natural catastrophe. He said over Rs4 billion had been contributed to the Prime Minister’s Flood Relief Fund.
Mr Gilani said the federal government had transferred Rs5 billion to an account in the United Bank in accordance with a decision of the Council of Common Interests (CCI) and now it was the provinces’ turn to deposit their share so that the amount could be distributed among the flood-affected people.
He said foreign donors would provide funds only for projects, adding that the government would identify the projects and the donors would complete them.
The prime minister said the CCI had taken all decisions unanimously and there had been no opposition from the Punjab chief minister.
He said the government was waiting for Punjab to nominate two people to an oversight committee as agreed at the recent CCI meeting.
The prime minister announced that the president and all members of his cabinet would donate jewelleries of their families for the affected people.