Mirza lambastes media's 'exaggerated' coverage of CID blast -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Mirza lambastes media’s ‘exaggerated’ coverage of CID blast

By Imtiaz Ali

Karachi: Sindh Home Minister Dr Zulfiqar Mirza came down hard on the media on Friday, accusing it of being a “partner of the terrorists”.

He levelled this allegation against the media while speaking in the Sindh Assembly on a motion condemning the terrorist attack on the CID office in the city on Thursday.

The motion, which was moved by the joint opposition leader, Jam Madad, and supported by Faisal Sabzwari, Arif Jatoi and Shaharyar Mahar, was later passed unanimously. Continuing his criticism of the media, the home minister said by “giving wrong figures” of the people injured in the attack, the media was becoming a “tool” in the hands of the terrorists to spread pessimism in the country. Mirza said he would approach the courts to prevent the media from spreading “false news”. He said that certain channels reported that 1,000 kilograms of explosives were used in the attack as if the TV channels had weighed them before the explosion.

The home minister asked what sort of media was this, which had been exaggerating news. Mirza said that the media not only exaggerated the number of the people injured, but it even showed the engine number of the “pick-up, a Hiace or Shehzore” used in the attack. The minister said that the investigators were still trying to find the engine number of the vehicle used in the blast. He urged the media to avoid “sensationalizing” news. The home minister told the House that around 14 people were killed in the attack. He said six FC personnel and four policemen were killed in the gun attack as bullet wounds were found in their bodies.

Mirza said the terrorists had attacked the CID building both from the front and the rear side. The minister said around 105 people had sustained injuries, out of whom six were stated to be in a serious condition. He saluted the FC personnel and the policemen for bravely facing the assault. Mirza said the roots of terrorism could be traced back to the era of Gen. Zia-ul-Haq. “I have always wanted that terrorists engage in a direct battle with us. They accepted 50 per cent of my challenge on Thursday evening, but later on, they showed their cowardice by exploding the vehicle.”

MQM’s deputy parliamentary leader, Faisal Sabzwari, while praising the sacrifices of the personnel of the law-enforcement agencies who fought against the terrorists bravely, said they would support the Sindh government’s efforts to end terrorism. He said those who were spreading militancy would not be tolerated in the country founded by Quaid-e-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah.

The Leader of the Opposition, Jam Madad, said the enemies of the country were behind the attack on the CID office. The opposition leader praised the police and the FC personnel for resisting the attack bravely and preventing further destruction.

Meanwhile, Minister for Industries M. Rauf Siddiqi told the Provincial Assembly of Sindh on Friday that it was “impossible” to implement Supreme Court’s order to construct treatment plants in industrial areas of Karachi within three weeks to control industrial pollution.

Giving statement under concerned rules, the industries minister said that the apex court ordered on Thursday that defaulting industries should be closed. Siddiqui said factories could not be closed in view of present situation as it would compound the problem of unemployment. The minister said the work on construction of one treatment plant in Kotri industrial area has been started while four such plants have been proposed in Karachi. He said it required at least Rs7 billion to construct these treatment plants, adding, efforts would be made to install treatment plants.

The industries minister further said that FIR has been lodged against a private investment firm whose two cheques were bounced. Siddiqui said that former managing director of SITE Ltd had invested Rs200 million in the private firm by violating the government’s policy. He said the private firm was not in a position to return this money, adding, legal action would also be taken against the former MD SITE.

He disclosed that chief minister Sindh has allotted required land for establishing industrial zone in Larkana free of cost and has also given funds to start work for the purpose.

MQM’s parliamentary leader Syed Sardar Ahmed stood up and asked his party’s minister Rauf Siddiqi to comply the order of the Supreme Court. “You cannot defy it, don’t do this,” he warned Rauf Siddiqi, adding that it amounted to contempt of court. Sardar suggested that if the judiciary had given three weeks period, efforts should be made to comply it.
Source: The News
Date:11/13/2010