Journalist pleads for proper probe into son’s murder
KARACHI: Expressing dissatisfaction over Thatta police’s probe into murder of his son, Rafiq Jalbani, senior journalist Abbas Jalbani on Friday demanded investigation led by ‘senior and good reputed police officers’ so that requirements of justice could be fulfilled.
Speaking at a press conference at Karachi Press Club, Mr Jalbani said he had also moved an application to the chief minister’s complaint cell that was forwarded to inspector-general of Sindh police and hoped that the matter would be taken on priority basis by the police authorities.
Rafiq Jalbani was shot dead in Makli, Thatta, on July 26.
“Thatta police have not made any progress in the murder of my young son and social activist,” he said, adding that despite the arrest of key suspect and his subsequent confession in the murder case, the police were not taking any interest in collecting evidence.
Such lack of interest on the part of police, he said, might benefit the killers.
Referring to the confessional statement of the suspect, Abbas Jalbani said the alleged killer got a pistol from an arms dealer in Sohrab Goth and hired a taxi in Gharo for killing Rafiq Jalbani.
He said so far the police had not seized the car, which reflected poorly on the police’s performance and raised questions about their intentions.
The senior journalist said there might be other people involved in the murder of his son and the police might want to give them a favour. The police had also presented a challan (charge sheet) before the Thatta court, which was full of ‘loopholes’.
“I have come to the conclusion that the Thatta police are deliberating spoiling the murder case of my son,” remarked Abbas Jalbani.
He urged the Sindh government and the Sindh IG to appoint DIGs Ghulam Nabi Memon, Sultan Khowaja or A.D. Khowaja to investigate the case.