Woman suspect complains of police maltreatment -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Woman suspect complains of police maltreatment

HYDERABAD, Sept 6: The investigating wing of Hyderabad police has been accused of resorting to inhuman methods to investigate the case of kidnapping of a three-day-old baby, Dua.

A maidservant alleged here on Thursday that police personnel had stripped her and bit on her face.

She sought intervention of the chief justice of Pakistan to provide her justice. The Supreme Court has already taken suo motu notice of the kidnapping case.

Another suspect alleged that police torture had affected his hearing ability.

“I was stripped of my clothes during interrogation for several hours by police who took me to different police stations after picking me up from my home,” Shama Pervaiz of Hur camp in Baldia area told Dawn. “Policemen in civil dress also bit my face,” she said.

Shama, a widow, lives with two daughters and a son in a rented house. She works in different bungalows.

Earlier, she was charged with murder by Sanghar police but she claimed that she had been acquitted of the charges.

Police scaled the walls of her two-room house to pick her up without any warrants and in absence of policewomen. She was taken to Sakhi Pir and then to Hussainabad police station for interrogation for the whole night. She was let off with Rs100 as rickshaw fare only when the kinapped girl’s parents, Nadeem and Feroza, refused to identify her as the kidnapper.

The district police officer has ordered an inquiry. Police are also reported to have sought the help of Sindh Chief MinisterÂ’s Adviser Nuzhat Pathan to pacify the woman. The SHOs of Hussainabad, Sakhi Pir and Baldia police stations bought ajraks from a handicraft shop off Makhdoom Sarwar Nooh Road and presented them to her in the presence of a large number of people of here area.

“Police had no right to dishonour me on the basis of suspicion. I told them that I will not forgive them. I need justice, whether it is given by high court or the apex court,” she said.

Police also picked up Fareed and Mohammad Rafiq Abbasi, brothers-in-law of another suspect in the case, Shareef. They were released later, while Sharif was remanded in judicial custody with Nasir, a watchman in the Shah Bhittai Hospital.

“Beating by police has impaired my hearing. I was arrested by Investigation Officer Sobdar Leghari. He told me that he is releasing me on his own surety,” Rafiq Abbasi said. He runs a cabin in Khokhar Mohallah to prepare number-plates of vehicles.
Source: Dawn