Three accused in gang-rape case taken into custody -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Three accused in gang-rape case taken into custody

DADU, Feb 20: Police on Tuesday took three main accused in the gang-rape case of Ms Kainat Soomro in protective custody after they appeared in the court of district and sessions judge for the confirmation of protective bail they had obtained from the Hyderabad circuit bench of the Sindh High Court on February 8.

Reports said that the main accused Ihsan alias Naomi Thebo, Roshan Thebo and Kaleemullah Thebo who were residents of Mehar and faced charges of gang-raping Ms Kainat Soomro appeared in court for the confirmation of bail but the judge transferred the application to the third additional session’s judge.

Barrister Pir Mujeebul Haq who appeared on behalf of Ms Kainat Soomro urged the court not to confirm the bails of the accused because he argued ini­tial reports had revealed that the girl had been criminally assaulted.

But the defendants’ counsel Mohammad Ramzan Khushik said that Ihsan alias Naomi Thebo had married Kainat Soomro and she was his wife. Pir Mujeeb insisted that Kainat who was just 14 years old and a student of VII class had been raped.

The judge after hearing the arguments from both sides fixed February 21 for hearing of bail application and directed police to produce the complainant Ms Kainat Soomro in court.

Sources said that police arrested the three accused when they (name out of court but inspector Mehar police Sarwar Panhwar said that they had not been arrested but taken in protective custody. He would produce them in court on January 21.

Source: Dawn

Date:2/21/2007