PTCL's mobile service delayed -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

PTCL’s mobile service delayed

ISLAMABAD. April 8: Pakistan Telecommunication Company (PTCL) has delayed the launching of its own cellular phone service till Jan 2000 owing to technical and administrative reasons.

PTCL sources said the decision to delay mobile phone service was taken at a high-level meeting of the Ministry of Communication in which proposal for PTCL’s privatization was also discussed in detail.

The sources said that mobile phone service offered by the PTCL would be efficient and cheaper.

Giving details of some other projects and plans of the PTCL, they said the company would increase the number of internet connections from 12,000 to 50,000 during this year raising it up to 150,000 in a couple of years.

PTCL has recently introduced callers line identification (CLI) facility to its consumers and so far 26,000 telephones have been put on this system which will facilitate the consumers to avoid obnoxious calls and to keep a record of callers in their absence, they observed.

This system will be extended to all major cities, the sources said, adding, it had already been started in Islamabad on trial basis.

PTCL has put 85 per cent of telephone connections on digital system while the remaining 15 per cent lines would also be digitalized by next year.

Source: Dawn

Date:4/9/1999