Probe into kidnapping of baby from hospital under way -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Probe into kidnapping of baby from hospital under way

HYDERABAD: Sindh Health Secretary Mumtaz-ur-Rehman said on Monday the government had taken serious notice of kidnapping of a baby from the Shah Bhitai Hospital, Latifabad, and initiated inquiry into the matter.

Strict action will be taken on the basis of the findings against those who found negligent in their duties, he told newsmen after visiting the Shah Bhitai Hospital. “On the directives of the Supreme Court, the Hyderabad district and sessions judge is conducting the inquiry into the matter and the Health Department is extending full cooperation in this regard. Action will be taken against those, who found guilty in the inquiry report,”

The secretary said that 75 cases of delta-virus disease have so far been reported from different parts of Sindh. “The disease emerges after complications in hepatitis and so far it is untreatable,” he said. “There are 1.5 million hepatitis-B and 1.7 million hepatitis-C patients in Sindh and the treatment of such a huge number of patients is a difficult task,” he added.

He said that 258 basic health centres were functioning in the province. The department has not closed any hospital or centre in any part of the province, he said, adding that efforts were afoot to provide sufficient staff will all required facilities at all the health facilities.

Sindh Health Services Director General Dr Hadi Bux Jatoi, on the occasion, said that the Health Department has provided treatment to 5,500 hepatitis-B and hepatitis-C patients at 11 centres, while nine more centres for hepatitis vaccination are being established in the province, he added.

He informed that the department has conducted blood screening of 35,000 people. “During blood screening in Larkana, Jacobabad, Shikarpur and Dadu prisons, some 74 cases of Hepatitis were diagnosed and they are getting treatment,” he added.
Source: The News
Date:8/28/2007