Plea against YouTube ban: Court summons IT minister, secretary
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Thursday directed the information technology minister and the secretary to appear on Aug 2 for the court’s assistance in a petition challenging ban on the access to YouTube, a video-sharing website.
Earlier, representatives of the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) and the IT ministry told the court that blocking all websites was not possible.
The counsel for the petitioner underlined the need for evolving a complaint strategy for resolution of public grievances, ensuring right to access to information, as well as blockage of porn sites.
Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah adjourned hearing and directed the IT minister and secretary to appear on the next hearing.
A local NGO, Bytes for All, had filed petition for withdrawal of the ban slapped by the previous government on the YouTube in Pakistan after Google administration had refused to remove blasphemous stuff from the website.
The NGO pleaded that the impugned ban amounted to infringe on fundamental rights to reading and knowledge. It said a large number of people had been affected by the ban.
Plea dismissed: The Lahore High Court on Thursday dismissed a plea to unseal a factory that was closed on gas theft charges by the SNGPL.
Justice Sheikh Najamul Hasan observed that the nation was facing gas and electricity crisis because of the criminal elements like the petitioner and they did not deserve any concession.
Malik Anwar of Faisalabad submitted that the SNGPL sent him excessive bill of Rs220 million and later sealed his factory on charges of gas theft. The petitioner said he was inclined to deposit Rs40 million and the court should order the gas authorities to unseal the factory.
Dismissing the plea for instant relief the judge directed the petitioner to first deposit the bill/fine before seeking any favourable order from the court.
The judge adjourned further hearing and sought a reply from the SNGPL.