No woman was buried alive, claims minister
By Saleem Shahid
QUETTA: A minister of the Balochistan government has come up with a claim that no woman was buried alive in Nasirabad last year, describing as propaganda the media coverage that shocked the nation.
“Only two women were killed on charges of Karo-Kari and the Supreme Court has already taken suo motu notice of the matter”, Home Minister Zafarullah Zehri told Dawn on Tuesday.
“Killing of five women and their burial alive is wrong propaganda,” he claimed, adding that police investigation and doctor’s report proved that two women were buried after murder on charges of infidelity.
The minister said 16 people arrested so far were under interrogation. However, he said, he had ordered police to release those who were found innocent.
“Innocent people should not be arrested,” he directed police officials investigating the incident.
“Real perpetrators should be brought to the task who were behind the incident,” Mir Zafarullah Zehri said.
He said that cases against innocent people would be withdrawn after consulting the chief minister.
However, he appealed to the Chief Justice of Pakistan, Mr Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, to form a committee comprising elders of Nasirabad to “properly investigate” the allegations.
Mir Zafarullah Zehri said that he would conduct a departmental inquiry into the arrests and other matters.