No-trust against Kharian nazim on the cards -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

No-trust against Kharian nazim on the cards

GUJRAT, July 12 2006: Around 25 elected representatives of the Kharian tehsil council area ready to table a no-trust move against the tehsil nazim while as many seconders will support them, it is learnt. MNA Wajahat Husain had convened a meeting of elected representatives at Nat House here on Sunday.

MNA Chaudhry Rahman Naseer Marala, former caretaker chief minister Mian Afzal Hayat, former district naib nazim Syed Noorul Hasan Shah, former minister Mian Tariq Dinga, ex-MPA Liaquat Bhadar, Shahid Raza, Awais Doian and some 50 councillors attended the meeting. Sources said 25 councillors had been made proposers to table a no-confidence resolution against tehsil nazim Nadeem Asghar Kaira. The same number of councilors would assist the proposers during the no-trust session.

The sources said Wajahat Husain had taken signatures of all 50 councillors on papers. The house comprised 61 members, and a two-thirds majority (42 men) is needed to ouster Kaira. According to the Local Government Ordinance, one mover and an assistant are sufficient to table a no-trust motion. The ordinance reveals if the move remains unsuccessful, both the men will be disqualified. It further reveals that the elected men will cast their votes through a secret ballot. Rahman Naseer, Naeem Raza and Mian Tariq had developed differences with Shahs of Qulewal Syedan following denial of the tehsil nazim ticket to Mian Tariq.

The Chaudhrys had allotted the ticket to Syed Noorul Hasan Shah who had to face defeat by a margin of two votes owing to an internal rift among the Leaguers. All groups have apparently patched up owing to the efforts of Wajahat Husain and district nazim Shafaat Husain. Except Shahs of Qulewal Syedan, the Marala, the Kotla and the Dinga groups have been asking the Chaudhrys to first nominate a candidate for the slot that would enable them to launch the no-trust campaign against Kaira. But the Chaudhrys fear that if they announce the candidate first, the differences may crop up again to thwart the move.

That is why the Chaudhrys have asked the groups and the Leaguers to first make the move successful, and then the candidate will be announced after consultation with the Leaguers. Owing to this controversial situation, Wajahat has prepared 25 movers and as many seconders. It may be mentioned here that around 48 elected men had rejected the tehsil council budget presented by the nazim last month. The no-trust move will be tabled on this ground. According to the sources, the move is expected within a couple of days.
Source: Dawn
Date:7/12/2006