Nato supply route closed temporarily
PESHAWAR: Pakistan has temporarily stopped Nato supply trucks from crossing its northwestern border into Afghanistan due to fears of militant attacks, officials said on Thursday.
Gunmen on Tuesday attacked a convoy of Nato supply trucks, killing a driver, in the town of Jamrud near the city of Peshawar.
“Movement of Nato vehicles has been temporarily suspended since Wednesday evening to beef up security,” a paramilitary official said. “We have launched a search operation in the hills surrounding Jamrud,” he added.
On Wednesday, officials at the northwestern Torkham crossing had said traffic was picking up for the first time since the blockade ended, with more than 100 vehicles crossing in recent days.
However, local administration official Bakhtiar Khan confirmed on Thursday the supply route had been suspended due to “security reasons”.
“Intelligence officials have informed the authority that attacks may occur on Nato vehicles this week and in the light of this a security plan is being chalked out,” Mr Khan said