Nadra urged to prepare error-free voters list -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Nadra urged to prepare error-free voters list

ISLAMABAD: Minister for Interior Rehman Malik on Friday directed the Nadra that printing of error-free preliminary electoral rolls of voters must be completed on top priority, ensuring that it would be fully rectified before 2013 elections.

Directing Chairman of the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra), Ali Arshad Hakim, he asked the Authority to fully assist the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in completing voters list in pursuance of the directive of Supreme Court of Pakistan.

The Minister was chairing a meeting here which was attended by Secretary Interior, Nadra Chairman and Deputy Chairman, other senior officers of Interior Ministry and Nadra.

He reviewed the ongoing process of voters registration, although it is a complete responsibility of the constitutional body – ECP – but since this job has been entrusted to the Nadra and this has been questioned in the National Assembly and in pursuance of the undertaking given by the Interior Minister on floor of the House.

The Nadra Chairman briefed the minister and indicated that it would take some time to scan, digitise and print the changes received by ECP as an aftermath of door-to-door verification exercise of ECP.

He briefed that gigantic exercise of printing of error-free preliminary electoral rolls of approximately 84 million voters as per electoral laws of land and business rules of ECP is a complex process. He was asked to ensure that the voters’ lists being prepared by Nadra were acceptable to all stakeholders.

Rehman Malik also directed to review procedure and point out the grey areas, which are being spoiled by the criminals and ID card seekers. The Minister noticed with great constraint that some of the elements within Nadra are indulging in corruption which need to be checked.

Appreciating Nadra for excellent work done, he said they have emerged as one of the top organisations sponsored by the government. Three years back when this organisation was left with only two months of salary in 2008 but now it is profitable organisation.

He also lauded the leadership of Chairman, Deputy Chairman, Tariq Malik and other regional offices who are functioning to the satisfaction of the government.

The Minister praised Nadra for issuing 89 million Computerised National Identity Cards (CNICs), thus registering 95 percent of adult population. He further directed Nadra to ensure that the remaining 5 percent CNICs are registered before 2013 election.

Chairman Nadra was further directed to come up with additional resources required for Nadra to accelerate CNIC issuance. The Minister asked the Chairman to pursue matter of Nadra Awami Bank with the State Bank of Pakistan and start negotiations with Postal Services Bank in order to provide branchless banking service at the door step to citizens.

Source: Business Recorder