Man accused of bombing music shop was mosque's Imam -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Man accused of bombing music shop was mosque’s Imam

CHARSADDA: The 25-year old man arrested Monday night on charges of bombing a music shop in Sherpao village used to lead Friday prayers at a mosque in a poor locality in Charsadda town and often gave sermons on the blessings of jihad.

Sources told The News that Saeed, son of Zafran, used to lead the Friday prayers at a mosque in Muslimabad, Station Koroona, sited not far from the place where a suicide bomber recently attacked interior minister Aftab Sherpao during a public meeting and killed 35 innocent people and caused injuries to another 50. The bearded young man used to study at a madrassa but police sources said he denied this during preliminary interrogation after his arrest.

Sherpao is the village of Aftab Sherpao. It was learnt that Saeed has two brothers, both labourers with one doing odd jobs in Islamabad.

Saeed was caught by the Rider Squad of the Charsadda Police near Sherpao village when he and an accomplice were trying to flee on bicycles after planting the bomb at a music shop. The blast damaged two shops, one selling CDs and music tapes and the other of a dental surgeon. The accomplice, Arshad Hayat, escaped. He is still at large but the police have picked up his maternal uncle and his two sons from Bahadur Killay near Sherpao village to put pressure on Arshad Hayat to give himself up.

Meanwhile, Saeed after his arrest was taken to the Sardheri police station near Charsadda town and interrogated. After an overnight stay there, he was taken to a secret place to undergo further interrogation. He wasn’t produced in any court. Also on Tuesday, the police produced one Alamzeb, accused in another case of bomb attacks against music shops, in a court in Charsadda to obtain his physical remand but the judge didn’t accede to the police’s request. Alamzeb was thus sent back to prison.
Source: The News