LHC seeks report on Facebook issue
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Thursday directed the ministry of foreign affairs to submit a report about progress made till now on the court’s earlier order to raise the issue at international level against Facebook for holding a contest featuring blasphemous caricatures and against the holy Quran.
The court adjourned hearing for indefinite period, directing the ministry of foreign affairs to comply the orders by registering protest against Facebook, a social networking website of American, in the United Nations General Assembly and at the OIC platform to stop such blasphemy attempts in future.
Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmed Chaudhry passed the order on several identical petitions filed by Muhammad Azhar siddique advocate and others submitting that Facebook and other internet websites which displayed blasphemous contents might be blocked in Pakistan and the federal government be directed to raise the issue at international level.
Deputy Attorney General Naved Inayat Malik who was present in the court assured that the compliance of the court order would be made. He said a representative of the Foreign Office was present in the court and detailed report no the matter, as required by the court, will be submitted on the next hearing.
Meanwhile, a report was submitted to the court by IT ministry on Thursday according to which inter-ministerial committee was working diligently to stop display of objectionable material on internet websites, including Facebook. The report said that from July hundreds of websites had been blocked by the committee. The report said that in July 2010 about 171 websites were blocked, 85 in August, 113 in September 29 in October 27 in November, 48 in December and 35 in January 2011.
Source: The News