Journalists endured Taliban death threats before escape -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Journalists endured Taliban death threats before escape

NEW YORK: Two journalists belonging to The New York Times, who were held over seven months by the Taliban in North Waziristan, endured death threats before they escaped by tricking guards and dropping down a 20-foot wall with a rope, according to one of the former captives.

Afghan journalist Tahir Ludin, who provided the details in an interview published Monday by the newspaper, said they were well treated when they reached a Pakistani militia post in the dark-ness of the night.

Ludin was held captive along with David Rohde, a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist at the Times, and their driver, Asadullah Mangal.

He said the past two to three months seemed so ‘hopeless’ that he considered committing suicide with a knife. Ludin said the driver appeared to be overwhelmed by fear of their captors and had not participated in the planning or the escape.

The journalists were abducted Nov.10 south of the Afghan capital of Kabul.

They escaped on Friday.

They plotted to keep their captors awake as late as possible to ensure they would eventually sleep soundly. Ludin challenged them to a board game. According to the detailed account: ‘At 1 am, Rohde woke Ludin, who recited several verses of the Holy Quran and followed him out of the room.

They made their way to the second floor. Ludin got to the top of a 5 foot-high wall. When he looked down, he was greeted by a 20-foot drop. Rohde handed Ludin a rope. that he had found two weeks earlier and had hidden from the guards.

They fastened the rope to the wall, and Ludin lowered him self along the rope. He Crashed to the ground, suffering a sprained right foot, cuts and bruises. Rohde then lowered him self along the wall and jumped without injury’.

Ludin said they waited to make their escape attempt on a night when the City had electrical power. An old, noisy air conditioner masked other sounds.

As the two men walked away, dogs barked at them from nearby compounds and strays rushed at them. To their surprise, no Taliban members emerged from nearby houses.

After 15 minutes, Ludin said, they arrived at a Pakistani militia post. In the darkness, a half dozen guards who suspected they were suicide bombers aimed rifles at them and shouted for them to raise their hands.

Source: The Nation