Journalists block road at Zero Point -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Journalists block road at Zero Point

ISLAMABAD, Feb 1: Dozens of journalists of the twin cities on Thursday blocked one of the busiest roads of the capital at Zero Point for more than seven hours after the authorities concerned failed to take action against a senior police official who allegedly ordered baton charge on mediapersons covering Marriott Hotel blast.

Journalists from print and electronic media gathered at Khayban-i-Soharwardi in front of Press Information Department at around 1pm and blocked the road for all sorts of traffic. They were chanting slogans against the local police and government.

They were dissatisfied with the findings of the inquiry report of additional district magistrate which held deputy superintendent of police, Secretariat Circle and station house officer of Secretariat responsible for the incident and as a result both were suspended.

The protesters were of the view that it was in fact additional superintendent of police who allegedly ordered baton charge and the high-ups were out to protect him. They said the DSP Khalid Rasheed and SHO inspector Munir Ahmad were suspended for being absent at the time of the incident. They were demanding suspension of the ASP and registration of FIR against him and compensation for the injured.

Later, State Minister for Information Tariq Azim came to the venue to show sympathy with the journalists and said an inquiry had been ordered at high official level and he would submit report within 72 hours. He assured strict action against the police officials involved in the baton charge. On his assurance the journalists dispersed.
Source: Dawn
Date:2/2/2007