Journalist shot dead in Mirpurkhas -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Journalist shot dead in Mirpurkhas

MIRPURKHAS: President of Mirpurkhas Press Club Sultan Mehmood Chandio was shot dead outside his house here on Sunday.

Chandio, 45, who worked for a Sindhi TV channel, leaves behind his wife, six children and mother. Before joining journalism in 1999, he was an activist of the Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz.

His first wife had committed suicide three years ago following a domestic dispute, and Chandio informed the then DPO of Mirpurkhas Munir Ahmed Shaikh about threats to his life from relatives. He was also said to be involved in a dispute between two groups of transporters.

Some markets were closed in the city after the killing. Later armed men fired in the air as a result almost all markets and bazaars were closed.

DPO of Mirpurkhas Zulfiqar Maher said that an investigation was in progress. No arrest was made till Sunday evening.

Journalists held a meeting which condemned the killing and urged the authorities to arrest the killers. Journalists and activists of political parties and NGOs held a demonstration and blocked the Mirpurkhas-Hyderabad road near Ratanabad for an hour.

Journalists in Hyderabad, Sukkur, Nawabshah Mithi and Umerkot also held demonstrations. ATTACK:

A police officer and a youth were injured in Kot Ghulam Mohammad following a dispute over forced closure of shops.

Activists of the Sindh Taraqqi Pasand Party called for closing shops in the town to condemn the killing of Chandio but some shopkeepers refused to do so, which led to a clash.

Later the STPP workers and representatives of shopkeepers held a meeting in the local press club to resolve the dispute.

As STPP workers came out of the press club after the meeting, activist Zaib Khaskheli allegedly opened fire on Kot Ghulam Mohammad SHO Lala Javed Mirza who was outside the press club with a police party, injuring him and Adnan Kaimkhani.

They were taken to a local hospital and later referred to the Civil Hospital in Mirpurkhas. Adnan was admitted and the SHO was referred to the Civil Hospital in Hyderabad.

Source: Dawn