High court Chief Justice takes sou motu notice of Manshera rape case
By: Nisar Ahmad Khan
MANSEHRA: Peshawar High Court Chief Justice Dost Mohammad Khan has taken suo motu notice of the alleged gang rape of a girl by some local policemen, directing Hazara commissioner, deputy inspector general of police and Mansehra district and sessions judge to submit separate reports in this regard.
The PHC chief justice took notice of the issue on a resolution of Mansehra District Bar Association, seeking judicial probe into the alleged gang rape by law enforces earlier his month.
A teenage girl had alleged that law enforcers had assaulted her at City and Kaghan police stations earlier this month when she was arrested wandering alone in the area.
The PHC chief justice, through a letter received by the court on Monday, has ordered the district and sessions judge to record the statements of the alleged victim and other parties concerned and submits the same before the high court on August 15.
The district and sessions judge on an application moved by the bar association on Monday has also imposed restriction on meeting of any person, including police and relatives, with the victim, presently residing in Darul Aman, till next order.
“We are monitoring the case and have got a stay order from a local court to ban meeting of police or anybody else with the victim as her life is under threat,” said Shahjahan Khan Swati, the president of district bar association.
He added that chief justice of Peshawar High Court had also ordered district and session’s judge and divisional administration to submit reports of the case with him on the next working day.
The district bar association in its largely attended meeting on Saturday had passed a resolution, requesting of the chief justice of Pakistan to take suo motu notice of the case and constitute a judicial commission to probe it.
Meanwhile, District Police Officer Sher Akbar has ordered the entire staff of City and Kaghan police stations to report to police lines till further order.
JAIL STAFF ATTACKED: Unidentified persons attacked the staff of district jail in the small hours on Monday.
“I cannot say anything about the motive (of the attackers) but some unidentified persons fired at a security guard from the backside of the jail and fled taking advantage of darkness when we retaliated,” said Zafar Iqbal, the superintendent of jail, told journalists.
He said that the assailants first fired three shots at the security staff and then fired four more bullets when they retaliated.
“We have no high profile militant in the jail. Those, who were confined here, have been shifted to Haripur jail some two weeks ago on the order of provincial home secretary,” Mr Iqbal said.