Gastro-enteritis haunts Naushahroferoze, Nawabshah
NAUSHAHROFEROZE, September 05 2005: One minor girl has died and as many as 1,100 people have reportedly been suffering from gastro-enteritis in different parts of Naushahroferoze and Nawabshah districts.
In Naushahroferoze, a six-year-old girl Seema died of gastro-enteritis while 80 patients had been admitted to various hospitals of the district.
In Taluka Daulatpur, Nawabshah, more than 1,000 gastro-enteritis patients were treated at the Daulatpur Rural Health Centre where emergency has been declared.
Executive District Officer (Health) Dr Ali Nawaz Khoso said the disease broke out due to consumption of substandard sweets and contaminated beverages at the Urs of Dargah Shahpur Jahania.
A number of patients said they ate different sweets and drank contaminated beverages at the Mela after which they felt sick.
The EDO said more than 1,000 patients of gastro-enteritis were treated and discharged from Daulatpur Rural Health Centre, adding that announcements through loud speakers were being made to urge people to bring gastro-enteritis patients to their nearest hospital without any delay.
He asserted that medicines had been provided to hospitals and added that the number of patients had risen to 1,000. However, no death was reported so far.
Meanwhile, DCO Baqa Ullah Unar said action was being taken against the sellers of substandard sweets, beverages and other eatables at the Mela.
Source: The News