Cellphone service ban on New Year eve sought -Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF)

Paksitan Press Foundtion

Cellphone service ban on New Year eve sought

KARACHI: The Sindh police want a ban placed on mobile phone service and pillion riding on the eve of New Year for security reasons, according to an official.

“Under a security plan for Dec 31, the Sindh home department has been requested to ban pillion riding for 12 hours — starting from 5pm,” said SSP Imran Shaukat, the Sindh police spokesman.

“It has also been requested to ask the federal government for suspension of mobile phone service for the same time.” He said the proposal had been forwarded amid intelligence reports that terrorists might target New Year celebrations in the city.

“The Sea View area will be sealed on Dec 31 and people will not be allowed to visit the place. Only the residents of the area may leave and enter it after meeting due formalities,” he said.

The home department had also been asked to ban carrying of arms, he said and added that strict measures were being taken to check aerial firing throughout the city.

On Friday, the government suspended mobile phone service in the city for more than seven hours, citing a terrorist threat aimed at fomenting sectarian unrest. The Karachiites faced the same situation on Eidul Fir, Eidul Azha and 9th and 10th of Muharram.


Dawn

Post Tagged with