Balochistan HR reports a plot against Pakistan: Army
QUETTA: Pak Army on Wednesday rejected human rights organisations’ reports about Balochistan as an attempt to destabilise and malign Pakistan.
Talking to media here, ISPR Director-General Maj Gen Athar Abbas called for probing the funding of these organisations as this could be traced back to those forces which want to destabilise Pakistan. -Online
APP adds: Rejecting a Human Rights Watch (HRW) report, Inspector General of Frontier Corps (FC) Balochistan, Major General Obaidullah Khan on Wednesday said that the report tried to malign the law enforcement agencies by not projecting their good deeds.
“I have complete confidence in the credibility of the law enforcing force which functions in accordance with the law and orders of the government,” he said in an interview. He pointed out that 800 innocent people had lost their lives while more than 1,300 civilians and law enforcers were injured in rocket and mines attacks during the last 18 months but, he regretted, these incidents had not been mentioned in the report.
The IG FC said that his force was not involved in any extra-constitutional or extra-judicial activities. “To project the law enforcement forces in a bad light was in the interest of such human rights organisations,” he added. He also requested the civil society and media to understand the situation in Balochistan in its true perspective and project sincere efforts of the institutions concerned in a positive way to improve the situation.
Commenting on recent terrorist incidents in Quetta, he said that different elements were involved in such incidents in the provincial metropolis and one in Mastung in which the nephew of Balochistan chief minister was killed. “The unfortunate incidents in Quetta were sectarian ones while the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) had claimed responsibility for the attack on the nephew of the chief minister,” he added.
Obaidullah Khan said that a comprehensive strategy had been evolved to counter any possible terrorist activity in view of the reports of creating unrest by terrorists during the holy month of Ramazan. “We have started operation to clear the areas of logistic supply and assure to meet the challenge of any internal and external threat,” he added.
Responding to a question about “once for all” action against the militants, he said the state and the Balochistan government were strong enough to counter them. He, however, said that the militants were not visible and launched attacks on vehicles, installations and crowds from their hideouts. He said they had no courage to confront with the law enforcing agencies, and added: “We will not only counter them but also bring them to the justice.”
When asked about the achievements on recovery of missing persons, he said the law enforcing agencies were cooperating with the federal government and judicial tribunals. The official figure of missing persons was 46, who were being traced, he added.
He pointed out that 11 families were intercepted last month on Chaman border who were trying to cross the border to meet their husbands in Afghan camps.He said some militant organisations killed their own people when they become useless after being injured.
Obaidullah said that the process of political reconciliation was under progress in the province. “Our task would be easier after this process was energised.” He said that three militant organisations were responsible for the deteriorating law and order situation for the last few months in Balochistan.
He particularly mentioned BLA (Marri), BRA (Bugti) and BLF led by Dr Allah Nazar as the leading elements involved in militant activities and said these organisations were working on their own agenda and were playing in the hands of foreign elements.
He, however, said that with the coordination and cooperation of provincial and federal governments and the state agencies, the activities of these elements had been neutralised. During the last 45 days, 12 militants involved in targeting gas pipelines surrendered before the authorities in Dera Bugti and the situation would be under control in coming days, he said.
Obaidullah said the army had been withdrawn from Dera Bugti and the area was under the FC control. Regarding reversion of A areas into B category, he said it was the government decision, and added that there was a need to enhance capability of Levis and police to maintain law and order in these areas.
Source: The News