Arrest warrant for Moonis issued; Interpol to be approached
LAHORE: The Federal Investigation Agency has tightened the noose around its own chief, Waseem Ahmed, and Moonis Elahi, son of former Punjab chief minister Pervaiz Elahi, in connection with the National Insurance Corporation Limited (NICL) scam.
FIA Additional Director General Capt (retd) Zafar Ahmed Qureshi on Friday got an arrest warrant issued from a federal court for Moonis Elahi after the latter failed to appear before it in response to a summon issued to him.
Besides, Mr Qureshi directed FIA Karachi director Moazzam Jah to submit his reply by Saturday in `black and white` about the alleged connection between Mr Waseem Ahmed and Amin Qasim Dada, a director on the NICL board who had allegedly brokered the deal.
The scam pertains to procurement of land on exorbitant rates by NICL`s former chairman Ayaz Khan Niazi, which caused a huge loss to the national exchequer. Dawn
“We have come to know by the immigration wing that Moonis had left the country for Dubai on Jan 20. Therefore, there is no point to believe in his (Moonis) statement that he will appear before the investigation team by the end of next week,” Mr Qureshi told .
He said the FIA would write to Interpol for the issuance of a red warrant for Moonis whose name had already been placed on the exit control list (ECL).
Mr Qureshi said he had directed Mr Jah to tell by Saturday about Mr Waseem Ahmed`s alleged role in protecting Mr Dada. “We will proceed (against Mr Waseem) after receiving Mr Jah`s reply,” he said.
Mr Jah had admitted before the Supreme Court that Mr Dada used to visit Mr Waseem`s camp office and, therefore, could not be arrested.
“We have also got Dada declared a proclaimed offender and written to the IG and the home secretary (of Sindh) for his arrest,” Mr Qureshi said.
On the other hand, Moonis Elahi says that despite his undertaking to the FIA that he will appear before it by the end of next week, the issuance of his arrest warrant shows that some “political elements” are involved in dragging him into the scam in connivance with their men in investigation agencies. Dawn
“It appears to be a planned move to hold my media trial as the FIA seems less interested in going after real culprits of the scam,” Moonis told by phone from Dubai.
He said he would not be intimidated by such tactics and would appear before the court. “I have full confidence in the Supreme Court. I will also tell the court about Mr Qureshi`s personal grudge against my family,” the young Elahi said.
Moonis is allegedly involved in a transaction of Rs220 million with Mohsin Habib Warriach, the main accused of the Rs3.3 billion scam, which the former denies.
Pervaiz Elahi has directly accused the Sharif brothers of “hatching” conspiracies against members of his family.